Monday, March 16, 2015

The Path to Throwing

The first few weeks following the surgery were uneventful. With one arm locked at 90 degrees, there is not much to do. No driving, no physical activity, and even showering was a struggle. My main focus was searching for a physical therapist who was familiar with the UCL rehabilitation. Through recommendation of coaches and doctors, I eventually found one an hour away from my home. Personally, distance did not factor into my decision as long as I was receiving the best possible treatment.

My physical therapist (PT) had successfully rehabbed several Tommy John surgeries prior to this and I instantly knew I was in the right hands. Three days a week were recommended, so immediately following school on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I went through therapy. It was relatively simple, as I expected. It consisted of more of the finger touches, squeezing putty, fist clenching, etc. I was given at-home exercises to do as well, like a shoulder isometric routine and lower body mobility routines to maintain flexibility. The only time I was able to remove the brace was when my PT performed flexion and extension exercises, which were necessary to retain full range of motion. I rarely had discomfort and my range of motion came back surprisingly quick. Sure, it was sore and very tender from the surgery, but there was never any real concern with pain or loss of feeling in my hand.

Setting up small goals is what carried me through the process. The first "milestone" I reached came when the stitches were removed two weeks after surgery. It revealed a nasty, dark scar. Following that came the elbow brace adjustments. After being locked at 90 degrees for several weeks, it was gradually set to allow more leniency depending on the progress made with natural flexion and extension. The sixth week after surgery finally, finally arrived and the brace was removed. The range of motion was still slightly limited accompanied with minor pain, but that subsided with time. The highly-restrictive therapy continued three days a week. Throughout this period of time, I was focused on the day I could start throwing, which was scheduled to be the first week in January. That was my motivation.

The three-month mark rolled around (December 1), which meant another visit to Dr. K in Cincinnati. It was surprisingly a short-lived appointment, lasting no more than 40 minutes. There was an ultrasound performed on the elbow as well as a routine stress test on the ligament, both of which were successful. I was happy to hear everything looked great. However, I was not complacent with sitting around the house and I was not happy with the weight I had lost, so I wanted to know my limits and restrictions. "Six months" seemed to be the common answer I received. At six months post-op, he would allow clearance for weightlifting and returning to most activities (within reason). I was at 188 pounds, so I had lost around 12 pounds between basketball and surgery. We discussed possible options for the spring, like designated hitting (which is how I spent my junior season). Ultimately, that idea was put to rest for the simple fact that it posed unnecessary risks. Since it was decided that I would not play, Dr. K pushed back the throwing program to begin in March. This would allow me two more months of strengthening and rehabbing, so I was not discouraged by any means.

With my strength coach, I set up a body weight strength and conditioning program as well as a 3500 daily calorie diet to help me build up what I had lost over the past couple of months (image below). Not playing basketball for the first time in 10 years was hard to accept, so this gave me something to focus on and I took it very seriously. Physical therapy was starting to become more intense and I was able to start using dumbbells, body blades, kettle bells, etc. Seeing and feeling results made me buy in that much more.

Fast forward to today- March 16 (6 1/2 months). Three weeks ago, I was cleared to begin lifting. I now have a completely new lifting program to attack (image below). I am 195 pounds, which is still not where I would like to be, but it has been steadily increasing. Physical therapy is exhausting and strenuous and I love it! The five-month throwing program begins tomorrow (FINALLY!) and I am anxious, excited, and nervous. The negative, inevitable "what if" thoughts loom in the back of my mind, but I am too excited to give into those thoughts. The ligament is healthy and strong. My body is even stronger. Previously, I had never worked my scaps, my lats, or my upper back. I did not target areas specific to pitching. But after six months of doing so, the difference is incredible. During this throwing program, I will document the details after each session (3x a week) and enter them into this blog at the end of the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment